Video: 7 month old baby explores the Montessori Ball Drop Box
At first, your baby will probably not be able to get the ball into the Ball Drop Box. It takes a lot of practice and coordination. Watch as baby Eric takes the challenge!
Here are some ways to get started:
- Show your baby the ball, name it, then drop the ball into the Ball Drop Box in your baby’s view so that the ball quickly disappears then reappears.
- Help them try; if the ball misses the hole, see if they reach to try and get it.
- Resist getting the ball for your baby right away—reaching across their body while sitting helps them develop balance and gross motor skills.
- Your baby is practicing grasping and releasing on purpose as they try to drop the ball in the box (a skill they will continue to develop throughout his first year).
- Have them experiment with the wood and felt balls. The wood ball reliably comes out of the box and makes a loud noise, while the felt ball doesn’t make a sound and sometimes stays hidden in the box.